AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
- Medical Malpractice Litigation
- Products Liability
- Health Care
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Toxic Tort Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- General Negligence Defense
- Intentional Tort Defense
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
New York and U.S. District Court, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Patrick J. Dwyer is a partner in the firm, having joined Smith, Stratton in 2003 with extensive trial and appellate experience gained since 1980. Pat has developed an expertise in handling complex insurance coverage matters, including acting as national counsel for an insurer for breast implant and tobacco claims. He has represented insurers’ interests in many asbestos coverage matters, as well as employment discrimination, environmental damage and latex exposure coverage claims. He has also represented prevailing parties in reinsurance arbitrations.
His work also includes significant healthcare law experience advising hospitals and staff in institutional credentialing matters and in professional licensure proceedings before state agencies, lectured for the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists and was a frequent guest commentator on Court TV. He served on the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Anesthesia Malpractice Prevention..
For 18 years, Mr. Dwyer was New York trial counsel for a Fortune 50 manufacturer and for other smaller entities for toxic tort/asbestos claims. Mr. Dwyer’s experience also includes the successful trial defense of numerous products liability, toxic tort, medical malpractice, land use, intentional torts, serious personal injury, wrongful death and property damage claims. He has also handled complex commercial claims at trial and in arbitration before the New York Stock Exchange and American Arbitration Association.
J.D., Fordham University Law School, 1980
M.S., Fordham University, 1977 – Biological Sciences
B.S., Fordham University, 1975
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Moreira v. Peixoto, 2015 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2171;
- Princeton Healthcare System v. Netsmart NY, Inc.,422 N.J. Super. 467 (2011);
- Appalachian Ins. Co. v. Gen. Elec. Co.,8 N.Y.3d 162 (2007);
- Byrne v. Times Square Dist. Mgmt. Assn.,No. 03CV 5488(DLC), 2005 U.S. Dist Lexis 9856 (SDNY 2005);
- Ifraimov v. Phoenix Indus. Gas,LLC, 4 A.D.3d 332 (2d Dept. 2004);
- Yale Univ. v. CIGNA Ins. Co., 224 F. Supp. 2d 402 (D. Ct. 2002);
- Maryland Cas. Co. v. W.R. Grace & Co., 128 F.3d 794 (2d Cir. 1998);
- Humphrey v. Jewish Hosp. & Med. Ctr., 172 A.D. 2d 494 (2d Dept. 1991);
- Avondale Industries v. Travelers, 887 F2 1200 (2d Cir. 1989);
- Morales v. City of N.Y., 70 N.Y.2d 981 (1988).